Tuesday

Final Year Film Development


Final Year Film


Week 1


Over the Summer Holidays, I started to think about a potential story for our third year film. I have a passion for astronomy so I already knew I wanted to have a film that had something to do with space.
The core idea I had was to have a young woman in her twenties wake up alone in space.
From this point I drew up some concept drawings for the girl as a good starting point.
This was the first original concept for her I did, I was imagining a girl like Ripley from "Alien" as this strong female lead that would handle being on her own in space.





I had an idea that she would wake up from hyper sleep at the start of the film, so she would definitely be in just underwear.
I then started to look at different lighting for her to fit the space scenery.
At this point I wanted to come up with her different looks that would be potentially used throughout this film, so for example, she would be wearing a space suit. I wanted the space suit to look more futuristic, which would all add to the mystery of why she is alone in space and what year it could be for her.


I took a lot of influence from "Tron" for the suit itself, liking the use of glowing neon lights on the suit. I also looked at Ridley Scott's use of space suits in general, in particular the suits used in the movie "Prometheus".
By this point I had the three main looks she would have throughout the film, set with different potential lighting colour schemes.


I went out to a cafe and started sketching girls I could see, mostly their hairstyles to see if there was something better than her hair being in a ponytail.
This is a picture of some of the sketches I did.



I did another drawing of what April could look like in a different style to before, so I did this really simple looking character design of her and her reflection version. I did this because Lauren and Lottie say that my character designs are a bit too complicated for when we would start animating it, and I should try and make it more simple looking and easier to draw.

I liked the ponytail still so I decided to keep that for this character design. For the evil version of her I wanted her to be a slightly different colour, so that you can definitely tell that she is a bit different.


I also did one quick concept sketch of a night sky to show the general style I was planning for the film.


It was at the end of week 1 that I started to flesh out the story and write a proper synopsis for it. I had loosely wrote out a story over the summer break, but it was more of a mind map of ideas for it. After speaking to some classmates and getting their opinions this was the official synopsis I wrote up for the space story.

"Parallel Universe"
A woman wakes up from hyper sleep in space to find a mysterious object in the distance. On further inspection she sees a slightly twisted reflection of herself in this reflective object. She's pulled by her reflection into a twisted parallel world to ours, inhabited by shadow-like humanoid creatures, grabbing and pulling at her. The world overwhelms and engulfs her until she once again wakes from hyper sleep, believing it to be a dream. She looks out the window like before and her reflection distorts.

 I also at the end of the week started making a mood board of images that I thought helped and inspired me to what the story could be or look like. Although I finished it up a bit during week 2 this is the full mood board.


To explain some of these choices, I was looking at the giant space ship from "Oblivion" as being the kind of thing I was looking for for the 'reflective object' our main character comes across (we'll call her April for now). So there are some screen grabs of Ripley from "Alien" to show pretty much the exact kind of character and look I was going for, for April. I knew by this point I wanted April's hair to be in a ponytail after seeing a recent short animation by Glen Keane, and falling in love with how nicely he animated the girl's ponytail moving around.
I also found some images of the famous creepypasta "SlenderMan" as being exactly how I was imagining the 'shadow-like humanoids' that would be the creatures that scare and attack April in the parallel world. I also took some screenshots of this Cube from this music video: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuAtcpFQpMw 
as being another possibility for the reflective object.

I also managed to get some pictures of the super lunar eclipse on the 28th, which makes good primary research for the parallel universe story.



Week 2

By week 2 we had decided on groups for the year. 

Group "LOL"

Lauren, Olivia, Lottie.

This is when we started talking through each group members ideas and we gave our thoughts and ideas to each other.

Lauren suggested that for 'parallel universe' the twisted parallel world could be done in 3D to make it really feel different and wrong, compared to the real world in the film, which I agree would make it look more interesting. We also thought of different options we could go with for with the mysterious object, and decided that a sphere or a cube would be best for it.

Lauren also suggested that we could show her personality more through her room in the space ship. For example, things like photos in frames, cuddly toys, coffee and books on the floor.

Lottie suggested that it would be good to make it so that there is no clue what year or time it is, so the audience is able to think to themselves what could be happening, and where is everyone. She also suggested that the people in the twisted parallel universe could reflect people she knows, such as her crew members on the space craft. This offers even more ideas of what could have happened to them and why are they seen as an element of horror in April.

I took time to do some more visual concepts for 'parallel universe'



This is my first design for our 'mysterious object' April will find. It would be a sphere in this case, but would have to look unnatural and reflective as it can't blend in too much to look like another planet. I was thinking of kind of a marble-like sphere with a very vibrant blue colour. 



I decided that a cube would work better than a sphere, because it stands out as being more unusual than just another planet. This looks more intriguing and out of place. After drawing this concept I think that this is a good drawing to show visually how the film would look, giving the overall feeling of the film. I'd say this is about the actuate size the cube would be.

I started drawing out the storyboard to the space story properly on Photoshop, but our Lecturer Lez told us that we could save ourselves a lot of trouble if we drew simpler and quicker on post it notes. That way we aren't getting precious with it and are able to move things around easier.
This is what I had got to by that point.





"Duck Story"

We started discussing the duck story better and coming up with a more solid story for it. Lauren wanted the story to be somewhat of a parody of the film "The Hangover", and it would be a comedy involving bread replacing alcohol.

Lauren's original synopsis was that, three ducks would go to their version of a nightclub where there was bread and breadsticks being offered. After the drunken night, one of the ducks is missing and so the two remaining ducks retrace their steps from the night before. Ultimately finding their friend in a dumpster with a belly full of bread and bread all around him.

This was the mood board of images I found for Lauren's story. It's mostly visuals of how we could draw the ducks, and what style it would be in. 



I know that Lauren was really picturing the film to be in 3D but I chose these images as if it would be in 2D as i really like the simplistic style of the ducks and environment.

I started to do a drawing based on what I had seen, of what our three main ducks could look like.

Lauren suggested that we have a tough bossy duck, a dumb bigger duck that's secretly the smartest one, and the duck that's up for partying that ends up missing.
Because personally I didn't feel like there is a lot that you can do with the ducks themselves, I at least wanted to make them look varied with their colours.

Me and Lauren went out together to the Brayford, to take some pictures of ducks and swans for the her story. We had discussed our two ideas earlier on in the summer so this was something we had thought about a lot sooner.
These are some of our photos we collected for primary research.



Lauren's story was the one we first sat down to go through the story with. The three of us sat down for a solid day to go through a draw out the storyboard. Our lecturer suggested to us that the best way to do a storyboard is to draw really simple stick-men on post it notes. This way we can change the order of things easily and when we need to change things it won't take too long.
We decided to go through all of our storyboards together, so that all of our ideas were shared and we didn't end up going off by ourselves on our own stories.

This is our post it notes storyboard for the "Duck Story". As the fastest at drawing I drew out all of the boards, while we discussed together what each scene would be.





We went through this and changed it a few times as we got feedback and had to cut some parts down.

I decided it would be funny if they went to ask some swans for help on remembering what happened the night before, and that the swans be the 'cool people' at the nightclub. So they would be smoking and getting high off of smoking bread sticks.
Me and Lauren discussed that the swans would get into such a daze telling the story of last night that they get distracted and forget what they were supposed to be answering.

I also decided that the main bossy duck would get frustrated and start losing hope that they will find him. He then looks at the 'dumb' duck who is eating bread crumbs and shows him in the right direction.

This was Lauren's final Synopsis for the story, that we came to after finishing the storyboard.

"Duck Story"
A trio of ducks about to embark on their wildest night out yet. But after the party at Love Dough Bakery they find that one of them is missing! Not being able to remember anything from the night before, the other two ducks have to retrace their steps in order to find their friend. Along the way they talk to the local swans, leave breadcrumbs so they know where they have already been. All to then find the missing duck is in the Love Dough Bakery bin, laying back enjoying the wasted bread from the party.



"Satsuma"

We talked through with Lottie her ideas for her story, as hers was the least clear and completed.
From what she told us originally the story would be about a couple remembering their time together, and in particular their first meeting where the girl throws a segment of satsuma that the guy manages to catch in his mouth.

"Satsuma"
A man struggling with divorce is having flashbacks of meeting his wife when they were teens. In the flashback it shows how he lusts after her, passing in corridors, glancing over at her in class. Final flashback is them meeting in a school canteen, he finally plucks up the courage to get her attention, motioning for her to throw a section of a satsuma to him, and him catching it in his mouth. Coming out of the flashbacks you see him going about his everyday life, collecting his post, visiting the market, going for lunch. After the final flashback, the viewer sees him sitting at a table with his divorce papers...when he goes up to collect his coffee another woman goes to with the same surname or similar name, as they both go to grab the coffee they make eye contact and smile. Is it his wife? or a new woman to bring happiness to his life once again?

We talked a lot about it and came up with a lot of different ideas together. Lauren suggested that they should be getting a divorce and so they're looking over their relationship together as it's now ending.

I suggested that as she wanted the film to be called "Satsuma", that the satsuma should have more of a prominent part in the story and it should have a deep significance. I decided that we should probably have the satsuma be in every flashback (or memory).

Lottie wanted the ending to have him meet a new woman, and end with the start of a new relationship. I thought this was a bit too much and adding another woman in will confuse the audience (since we are going through different ages and times and she will already be looking different in each memory).

This is the mood board I collected of research of what it could look like.



Lottie wanted to have a washed out 'watercolour' look to the film, to which I suggested that the flashbacks should be full of bright vibrant colours, whilst the present time should be washed down dull colours. This shows that the memories are the really happy best moments of their time together, but currently they aren't happy anymore and the colours and overall mood show it.

I collected those images from Google to show that difference in colours and style.

We all agreed that our main inspiration for this story was the Pixar short film "Paperman", for it's style and the way it is completely centred on the meeting of this boy and girl. From that I did a drawing of an example for the boy and girl, with a style that is black and white and features only the colour orange.



Lottie suggested that the main guy be quite geeky, while the girl is the pretty popular girl that's really out of his league. But he has a cheeky side to his personality that is able to charm her and get her attention.

We all sat down together for another full day solidifying the storyboard and nailing it down.
We decided on 3 main flashbacks. Lottie originally wrote out that they meet and throw the satsuma in a market. We decided against this and wanted a park instead as it allows for more pretty environments and a better set up.

Our 3 main flashbacks are,


- He's a young boy around the age of 12, and He sees her bike past him next to his house. He's staring in awe of her.

- He walks into the park and sees her sat on the bench, peeling a satsuma. He jokingly waves at her and signals her to throw a segment of satsuma at him which he will catch in his mouth. When he catches it, she smiles and is impressed.

- They are getting married, and it shows the wedding where they share their kiss.


This is our original storyboard that we put together. I drew out the storyboard whilst we all decided what each frame would be.

We decided that at the end when she comes into the scene she lifts up an orange with a sentimental laugh and they both show their acceptance that it is ending. 


The lecturers suggested that we think of a few more ideas between us, so that we have a lot more choice. The second idea I came up with, is a story about a mermaid after I felt inspired by a mermaid scene from "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides". 
This scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a5MSCTGFoY


I wanted a story about a man lost at sea, that finds himself in this beautiful lagoon, with a beautiful mermaid that enchants him with her song. But once she lures him down to the water she shows how she really looks as a horrifying siren.

I started off with doing a mood board of how I would want the film to look.


I especially liked the top middle image, as that is how I would want the main character to look. I also love the colours and lighting in it. The mermaid would start out beautiful like the top right and then appear as a dark scary creature.

Lottie suggested that he should have a photo of his girlfriend or love interest with him, And I decided that the mermaid should look the same as her, as a means of enchanting him and tricking him. 
Lauren later said that we could have him wearing a locket that had this photo in.

This is the final synopsis for the mermaid story.

"Mermaid Siren"
A young man finds himself lost at sea on his rowboat. He loses hope and sleeps against the side of the boat. He wakes up to the sound of beautiful singing, and searches through the fog to try and find the source. He finds a beautiful woman of natural beauty emerge from the water, entrancing him with a song. He sees in a dream-like state, an image of them together. She gets closer and closer, her song getting quieter and softer as she lures him down to the water. Under the water you see her true siren form as she pulls him into the darkness. And then he's gone.

These are a few photos we got today of the island in the middle of the bray ford. I thought it would make a good reference for the sort of lagoon he will end up in.





I also went to a park near my house that has a lake to get some more photo examples.




This is some concept drawings I did based on what the visuals could look like for the mermaid story.
I wanted a really pretty nighttime sea look, so I did a few environment drawings based on that.




I then did a concept drawing of what the mermaid could look like. I would imagine her as having white hair because it looks more angelic I guess.






Week 3



This week was our presentation week, where we pitch our ideas as best as we can, and then the lecturers would choose which story our group should go ahead with. So this was the main focus of this week. We needed to get as much work done for each idea possible before we were ready for the presentation.


"Parallel Universe"

I started doing more concept drawings for this story as I felt it was a strong story and has a good chance of being picked.
To start with since we discussed the shadow-like people from the twisted world as being these tall thin scary creatures, I decided to start designing what they could look like, very much using 'Slenderman' as inspiration.
These were 3 different versions of them that I came up with.




When I showed these to the other group members we all decided the second one was the best design for them, as it looked the creepiest.

I started looking at the reflection, or evil version of April that pulls her into this world and haunts her.
She has to look like April but something be every so slightly different. So I thought about changing her overall colours, and especially have a big difference in the eyes. I want the 'Dark April' to have quite menacing distinct eyes. This is the thing that you will notice as being different when you first see the reflection.



There is a part of the story where in the twisted world, 'Dark April' comes from April's shadow in a creepy shadow figure form, before all of the shadow-like creatures start engulfing her. The second drawing I did next to Dark April is what that would look like.


I did this concept drawing for the 'Twisted world', showing the city and it's shadow-like creature inhabitants. I think the world would look best as being a city with skyscrapers. This would have a lot of possibility to go in and make it look 'twisted'. For example, the buildings could be upside down, or slanted at a strange angle. Just little details that would show that something is wrong here.


This is the last concept drawing I did. It is of April's bedroom in the space ship. Like Lauren suggested before, I tried to add as much personality to the environment as possible. So she has a coffee and book on the floor that she doesn't care too much to put away. A poster on the wall with a inspirational space image on it. This shows that she is passionate about what she does and is happy to be out in space, even on her own. I tried to add a sense that she is a confident person. She is also wearing just underwear while she walks around, so she doesn't care too much about looking proper.


Today we sorted out the storyboard for the "Parallel Universe" story. We all sat down together like we have done with the others and talked it all through, on each frame. I then drew them all out on the post it notes.
This is the finished storyboard.





The ending has a big part in this film, as it ends with the same scene it starts with, but there is a twist at the end that get's you thinking about it.


"Mermaid Siren"

We also managed to get the storyboard for the mermaid story finished. There are a few things that we decided to change.

We thought that his character would be that of a quite optimistic traveller, so when he becomes lost at sea, he's actually more excited by the new adventure rather than being down on himself about it.

He will also get stuck in a storm as being the thing that leads him to where the mermaid finds him, so he and the boat get engulfed by fog as a result of it. The mermaid then emerges from the fog whispering before singing.

When he sees the mermaid she places a lotus flower in the water and he starts seeing illusions of them together come out from the lotus flower. This would all be done quite visually in the film as being a really beautiful scene. I was inspired by this animation for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qnQqXr838E

I love the use of this flowing morphing animation, and think it would be good for this scene.


This is the finished storyboard for the mermaid story.




We had everything ready for the group presentation by this point.



Week 4


After the presentation, it was decided that "Satsuma" was the chosen story.

We are all perfectly happy with this decision, as we liked all of our ideas and didn't mind too much which would be chosen.

The first thing we decided to do was more mood boards and more planning for it.

This is my next mood board for the film.


Since we all agreed on having this simplistic overall look where it's either really vibrant or quite dull and desaturated, I collected some images together that I think do a good job in getting across that style we're after.

A big inspiration for me for the characters is the characters for Lloyd's TSB, by studio AKA. I really like the idea of these really tall thin characters with small heads and features. I think that style would be perfect for our film's characters to go with quite simple backgrounds.
Our other main inspiration is "Paperman" as shown above. I think that the crayon-like style of the film looks really nice and would work well for us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY

I also really love the two scenes at the bottom, it's the use of colour and lighting with just really simple shapes that aren't drawn perfectly. This is the style I'd like to go for for our film.



we started looking at the storyboard again because we thought out of everything that that needed a lot of work.

We started to look at some of the transitions from the present day to the flashbacks, as they were the parts that we didn't think that much about. The first thing was the beginning. We originally had it so that he morphed into his younger self and simply sees her bike past.
We instead decided that he should get his post out of the post box and see a satsuma roll next to him on the floor. When he goes to pick it up it's in the flashback.
This way the transition is much more sudden, and because of the obvious colour change in the flashbacks, you will be able to tell it's a memory.




Week 5




I started looking at character designs for the girl, I tried a lot of different quick sketches to test colours and hair styles.
This is the tests I did.


This is purely a style test. I had this idea that everything being with hardly any colour but they have their own specific colour on their heads. But I think we all agreed that this was just not going to work and would be too boring, so I abandoned it and started testing others.

These are the other tests I did.



After looking at all of these I in particular liked this one for how well the colours worked with each other.

I also started doing some sketches for what she could look like. 

I liked the one at the bottom the most but we thought it seemed a bit too flirty and out of character.
We want the girl to be the cool confident girl but she's like the girl next door.

We also tweaked the storyboard again to change some of the composition of some of the frames. It was mostly fixing the park scene, because the way he waves over to her was a bit strange, and we made it so that instead of walking past, he is sat on the bench opposite to her and he waves over to her that way.

We changed the transition to being present day him is sitting on the bench in the park, and he goes to pick up his newspaper. The newspaper will fill the screen from first person view and hold it for a while. When he pulls the newspaper down, the scene has changed to the flashback and the colour is vibrant.






Week 6




During this week we had got a lot of the story nailed down and were planning to split it between us and draw it up properly on photoshop. This was so that we could do a very rough animatic for timing it properly. We need to make sure it's timed right and will be at around 3 minutes maximum.

We decided the ages for the characters during each time of the film:

During present day they are in their 40s.
During the first flashback, they are around 12.
During their first interaction at the park, they are around 20.
During the Wedding flashback, they are in their late 20s.

I started drawing some sketches for the main guy, based on a character design Lauren had done.
I wanted to make him look like a geek but be a bit loveable looking. I think we had agreed since very early on that he should be ginger to go with the orange theme of the film. This would mean that the girl definitely couldn't have orange toned hair.




We all liked these a lot for him, and so I went on and tried out a coloured in version.


I think that the turquoise colour compliments his orange hair really well, and although I do also like the purple colour, I think the turquoise is definitely a good colour for him.
I also tried a few different skin tones in this drawing, and I think I like the first one the most as it's got a more pinkish tone to it, that looks really good with his hair colour.


I got some images together that I had researched to get some fashion styles and girly outfit choices for our main girl.


I liked the stripy top and jeans combination for the 20s aged girl, as it seemed like something a cool girl would wear, that doesn't spend too much time thinking about fashion.
I think that some of the more pastel girly coloured outfits work well for when she is 12 years old and I will definitely use some of the colours for her outfit.


I did the first example of what the girl would look like based on some of my previous test examples and the outfits I found. This is the first result I came up with.

I went with a really pastel tone for her to contrast the guy, because they have to look different to each other, I gave her a very faint tanned skin tone too.

Our group decided that they really liked this one from the start and some of the lecturers told us that this is the one we should go with.


I also tried to change the colour of her hair a bit, as Lottie suggested that we try and see if we can give her a reddish toned hair colour, that is based off of the character design that she did for her originally.
We did decide however that she just can't have red toned hair, because the boy has ginger hair and they clash with each other too much.


Here i've started a full body sketch for her. To go with her stripy top, I think jeans would go well with it, to show a girl who's not too girly but she's still very feminine looking.


Today I focused on colouring some full body drawings of the girl. This was mostly to get the colours done so the group would be happy with her. Lauren and Lottie were really happy with these and thought she looked perfect really.



I then did a full body drawing of the boy too and put them together, so that we can finally see what they will look like as a pair. We think they look really good next to each other and are happy with this result.


The only thing really is that we wanted to go back and test out her general colour scheme and make sure we were going in the right direction. Lauren did this job for the most part, but I did also do some very natural toned colour tests for her.


We really like some of the darker hair colours for her, but we just liked the original colour scheme so much that we weren't sure if we wanted to go with any of the others, because we just don't know if they will work as well. Since we got such a good reaction from people from the original, we decided to stick with it.

We made some notes between us about what we wanted for the younger and older versions of the boy and girl, so that we were on the same page and we all knew what we wanted for them.

This is what I drew up and ended up with for the girl.




For the 12 year old girl, I wanted to really make her look like a kid, so I made her face structure smaller, with a bit more blush to give her that innocent look. I made her hair look a bit lighter too, as usually people have lighter coloured hair when they're young and it gets darker as they age. I also made her lips slightly wider. She has her hair in a long loose ponytail. After looking through the pastel outfits I collected, I decided that she should have a pastel pink top, probably paired with some denim long shorts, to keep up the her character being not massively girly. Finally I gave her a little daisy hair pin just because I think it makes her look more like a little girl.

I wanted to test a different hair style for her 12 year old self as I'm not sure if I can make her look any younger with just the hair. I did this version as well with her hair being just down, but I honestly think it makes her look even older.



For her 40 yr old look, it was important for our group that both her and him be much more reserved looking. They're at this stage where they've lost their spark and their fun side. They're more the sort of people that will sit and read the newspaper instead of talking to each other or going on a date with each other. I decided that she would have darker coloured clothes and hair, with a long pencil skirt or something that makes her look more reserved.

This is the look I decided upon.


The colours are also a bit more dull to go with the fact that the present day scenes will be just a lot more desaturated.
Lauren and Lottie were happy enough with this to give it the go ahead.


By this point our storyboard was finished on post it notes and left with just tweaks to do.
Here is the finished storyboard.







There is a few things we needed to change for this that became really important. The first is the wedding scene. 
Lottie had this idea of when they are leaning in to have their kiss, that the camera short pan around them and do a circle. It was based on a scene from the movie "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1", here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IelhpK-eDh0 
I suggested it would make a good way to turn into the next transition, where the camera would do just a half circle. When it gets to the back of her and she covers him completely, he camera will continue round and he will be back into present as she slides off of the screen.

The second thing we changed was the ending. He is glancing over at the basket of Satsumas as she comes into frame. When she sits down and starts drinking her coffee or whatever, he will offer her a satsuma as a last peace offering. This is his big last attempt and fixing the relationship, and as she takes it he's left wondering what she is thinking if she will accept it and laugh it off just like old times. But she has this big pause before she shakes her head and puts it down next to him.
I decided that the satsuma that still glows and is the only really colourful thing in the scene, will start fading and losing it's colour. With this he is left with no choice but to accept that it's over and make peace with it.

Lastly, I suggested it would be good that in the last scene as it fades out of the cafe from outside looking in, there is a cherry tree outside that comes into frame and starts to glow at the end. This would make a much better ending and way of saying there is hope of new beginnings, than him meeting someone new straight away like originally.




For him, I first wanted to look at other turquoise options for his shirt, as I needed something that would look good for our style.
These are all of the colour tests I did for his shirts.





We were happiest with some of the light colours, and the darkest one, for being good to use for when he is in his 40s.

From this I did the same thing I did with the girl, and started drawing up a head shot for each generation. We wanted to have his 12 year old self have a big curly hair do, based on Lauren's character design that she did for him. I decided that I wanted his 40 yr old self to have a darker tone of red, and be much shorter. He had this big funny playful mop, but as he's aged he's become reserved too, and has only short hair now.


I started working on environments towards the end of this week. I mainly wanted to focus on the cafe scene that we have at the end as it's the most emotional part of the film and it's really important that we have a good setting for it.

I started off with doing some quick thumbnails in general for backgrounds as it gives me options for doing others later on. It also shows an insight into the sort of lighting we want to achieve.

The general rule is that the background has to be really light and pale in comparison to anything that comes in front of it. This is the rule we decided upon based on the works on the mood board that we wanted to use as reference and inspiration for this.

I gathered together some research for illustrated cafes, to use as an inspiration for designing ours. This is a board full of examples we really liked.




This was the first concept drawing I did for this. This would be from outside of the cafe looking in. The cherry tree would be on the side there in vision. 



I then did this concept drawing for the scene with probably the most emotion, where you see their silhouettes, with the light coming through from the window behind them. This would be the big scene where he offers her the satsuma. I looked at some references for this as i saw one picture that the cafe looked like a perfect layout for this scene.

I was also very careful to have her looking like she's invested into reading a newspaper, whilst he can't stop looking at her and contemplating. It just makes it look as though he is the one who needs closure and is desperately clinging onto what they once had.




I adjusted the lighting and colours on this one, for our group to see what the desaturated, duller looking present day scenes would be like as apposed to the flashbacks.

This is a mood board of pictures we gathered together to use as reference for designing the park environment. We really liked some of the colours used.



I did one quick concept for the park environment. this is just to get an idea of colours and lighting, rather than being a finished environment design. It's based on one of the thumbnails I did.



I also spent some time this week sketching out the turn arounds for the characters and their different ages.


This is the main girl in her 20s sketch. She is very tall and thin, as is the theme of the characters.


This is a finished sketch of the girl's turnaround at age 12. I added in her bike slightly to one of them just to show, as she will only appear in the film with her bike.


This is the turnaround for the 12 year old version of the boy. He has his backpack as well included in this.





Week 7




This week I wanted to get all of the character development out of the way. I focussed on getting the character turn arounds coloured and finished.


I started by using Lottie's wedding dress designs for the wedding scene. I wanted to draw up a concept picture of how she will look in the film with her wedding dress on. I wanted to make a big fluffy princess style dress that Lottie had done in a few of them and make it more exaggerated looking. She needs to look really prominent in this scene, so she has to look really beautiful in the dress.
This is the concept drawing I drew for her.



Lottie and Lauren were really happy with this, and gave me the go ahead to do a turnaround for it.

I wanted to do some colour tests first for it to make sure I was picking the right one.


Once we had all chosen I finished the turnaround for her.


This is the finished wedding dress design for her, and we are all very happy with how it turned out looking.

I then started thinking about the man's suit for the wedding scene. I was at my uncle's wedding recently and he had a blue toned suit on for it, which I thought looked a lot better than a traditional black suit, so I started getting some research and examples together.



I then started designing a suit based on these. I wanted to try it out in a lot of different colours and then get Lottie and Lauren's opinions on which is the nicest.


We decided that this one in particular was the nicest colour, and it also kept in with our theme of him having a turquoise coloured top on. I also liked the idea of his tie being an orange to go with the film's theme obviously.



I started finishing the character turn arounds now, and fully colouring them in the colours we will definitely be using. 
This is the completed turn around for the 20s Girl.

From this I then went and did the 40 year old Girl turnaround.


And finally, after losing the file twice, completed the turn around for the 12 year old girl.

Once I knew Lauren and Lottie were happy with these I started getting on and doing the same with the man. Here is his 20 year old self turn around.

For this we decided to change his shoes. I designed them to be like this which Lauren agreed went well with his overall colour scheme.
This is his 40 yr old self turn around.

As well as his hair, his clothes are significantly darker also when he's in his 40s. I wanted to change his shoes but Lauren and Lottie said there was a certain charm to him wearing the same kind of shoes.

Finally here is the turn around for his 12 year old self.




His bag is a pink colour, complimentary to his hair colour and turquoise top. His top is a lighter colour turquoise than his 20 year old self, as well as his hair being a lighter shade of orange.

I decided to do a hand pose sheet for the reference for my group who have stated that they struggle when it comes to drawing hands.
I started with drawing the girl's hand pose sheet.


It includes poses of her hand both holding and orange, and peeling an orange.
I then did a hand pose sheet for the man.


The Line Up.


This is the final character lineup for Satsuma. I put all of our different ages together to show the proper line up of their height and what they look like next to each other.




In the last few days of this week I decided to do some more ideas for the cafe scenery, based on my thumbnail sketches.
These are some of the concept drawings I did for this.

This one is more for an example of the use of lighting that we will have for the film. Both from her side of the coffee table and his side.






This is another version of the window that will be the important scene near the end of the film.


And again I wanted to adjust the colour to show the 'Desaturated' overall colours for the present day scenes.


These are two different views of the inside of the cafe, around from the table they're sat at. The light coming through shows where the window is.



I also did one quick concept for the 12 year old version of the girl biking during the first flashback in the film. This is how it turned out looking,



Finally the last thing I did this week was design a few props. Props was mainly Lauren's job but for getting the style that we'll use more than anything, I did a few myself too.

This is a design for the letter that the man has in the present, that contains his divorce papers. This is also using the lighting we want for the film.


And finally i did a design for the satsuma that will be on the table during the cafe scene.






Week 8 

Nov 9th - Nov 15th


This week was mostly about getting the animatic done. Although me Lauren and Lottie did previously split the film into 3 parts between us for drawing it all up in photoshop, we had a talk with the lecturers who said that one person should draw it all up so that it looks consistent and good. Lottie was away this week for the most part, and as the person who's stronger when it comes to drawing I was set the job of drawing it all up for the animatic.

Lottie put all of the frames I drew up in a proper storyboard so that we have a clean cut finished looking storyboard. This is the storyboard I drew up.











Our Animatic.


As Lottie was away during this I drew up the animatic completely and did the timing, Lauren took the job of making a scratch track for the sound and edited it together.
This is the final animatic and we're really proud of the result of it.
altogether it reaches 2:43 mins without the extra black screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk0hYg0zRYk




Week 9 

Nov 16th - Nov 22nd

After a really busy few weeks getting everything finished for the pre production hand in, we gave ourselves a bit of a break this week. We had a guest lecturer in for 3 days and for the most part just payed attention to what he was showing us, writing down some tips he had for concept art, where you use textures over an image of a scene from maya to give a more realistic perspective and it makes it look better.

Week 10

Nov 23rd - Nov 29th

I was unable to attend one of this week's lectures as I had work and didn't receive enough notice about when the lecture was. But during this lecture that Lottie did attend, she had to present our animatic in front of the class and the sound design students in hopes to collaborate with another course for our film's audio. From the feedback Lottie received about our animatic, I went back and made some of the changes we agreed with to the current animatic. There were some suggested feedback that we just didn't like the idea of or we thought what we had was better, so I only made a few of the changes including, having the orange coloured the whole way through which I did here.





There was a few frames that got completely mixed around when I was drawing up the animatic originally around this point, so I went back and put those in the correct order.



We were told that this scene where the orange colour fades, should be slower which would come across as a more emotional scene, which we definitely agreed on. So I added about 4 more frames of it fading slower here:


After I had finished, I handed it back to Lauren to add in the sound correctly, and this is the finished re-done animatic.




Week 11 

Nov 30th - Dec 6th


This week, we needed to start sorting out the rigs we were going to use for the production. 

We decided that since each of us three have are at different skill levels, and for example Lauren says that she can only work well with 3D, I can only work well with 2D and Lottie was a bit neutral; That the best way to do the film was to animate plain textureless 3D models, where necessary, convert the clips into gifs, and rotascope them (adding in in-betweens, cleaner animation and details) in 2D.

The lecturers at first were quite worried by the idea, because I don't believe anyone on this course has tried it before. But we're completely confident it will work and it will work well. To reassure them we found a couple examples where this was done, including a short film we were shown called, "The Dam Keeper". This is a link to a video showing some of the behind the scenes in which this technique was used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDO19ZCtrYA

"The Dam Keeper", is probably our biggest inspiration for our film, as for the most part we are working with my personal style of drawing, lighting and colouring for our film, and the style of the dam keeper is really similar to my style:




We did also looked at the Walt Disney Animation Studios' short film "Paperman" which although it does use the technique we want to use, they did it to an extremely complicated expert level that we could never manage at this time. This is a short video that talks about how it was done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJLtujW6FY

After discussing with Sultan we came up with a few rigs we liked the look of to use for our characters. Lottie collected some rigs together that we need to take into consideration, these are moom rig, mannequin rig, Sam rig, and the Morpheus rig.







We finalised the rigs we will use, and had a play around with them to get used to them, size them up against my character designs so that we have the height and body proportions somewhat accurate, and then do a quick test to show how it will work.





We started to get the Morpheus rig up against my character designs. The Morpheus rig is able to be changed and altered to make it suited to your preference, so we needed to make him taller and thinner to suit our character. His neck also needed to be lengthened.








Lauren was doing the technical part of sizing him up and changing him using this body control, whilst I said how much his body needs to be changed.


We also thought that we would change the size of his head and make his hair as short as possible so that when we draw over our 3d frames, his hair won't get in the way.





This is a close up of what we're working with. For the most part we can ignore his facial features for drawing over it, but I would like to try and animate his eyes and eyebrows a little.






We then started to take a look at the Sam rig which Lottie measured up against my turnaround for the girl. After we all had a look and discussed through we actually realised that she has almost the exact same proportions as our character, apart from her head being a bit bigger.






We also couldn't really find any solution to changing her body proportions like we could with the Morpheus rig without breaking the rig, so ultimately we just agreed that she was fine to use as she is.




















We then as a group put them both together to size their heights up against each other. They are now at the right size to our character designs.




At this point we decided to test our animation process, as the lecturers felt like they needed a better confirmation that this idea we have is doable and if we will do it well as a consistent team. This whole system was my idea also so that Lauren who is good with 3d would work well with me who is good with 2d and such. So I needed to sort of prove to my team that it's going to work.

Lauren started it by taking the Morphy rig and doing a quick walk cycle in maya. We had some troubles figuring out the rig, and in particular his arm joints. Although we now have learned from these mistakes together, it meant that his arms were really stiff and robot like for this test.


This was the quick walk cycle that Lauren did initially.




So I took this and basically started to trace over the animation with the body proportions. This is the easiest part to do, although it's a little time consuming.


I started this by taking the clip and putting it as a gif into Photoshop. This gives me all of the frames, so I can delete frames that don't necessarily need to be there. I then adjusted the opacity of each frame to about 48%, so that I can see what I'm drawing properly.




Then I started to sketch over him. Due to the quality of the playblast, which we couldn't make any better unfortunately, it makes it a bit harder to see the 3d. So I just worked with what I had.




I then cleaned up the lines a bit and added his details in, based on my character design for him. Not too detailed, because of the style the film would be, it wouldn't have to be perfect.



Then I hide all of the 3d frames so that I can see how the animation looks like as just the 2d.






This is the exported video of the animation put together.



I showed this to my group to show how the process would work, and what each of us would be doing as a process.


Week 12 


Dec 7th - Dec 13th





Starting off this week, was getting Layouts sorted for our films. I know that other groups did this a week or so back, but because we are working in a different way and to our own schedule, we decided to prioritise. We have our list of different scenery, or the different backgrounds that are:

- Suburban House/Neighbourhood
- Park (Central park)
- Cafe/Coffee House
- Wedding Chapel


We all kind of mutually decided that it would be set in New York, as this would allow me the chance to draw much more beautiful scenery, including skyscrapers in the backgrounds; And it made a lot of my ideas that I had for the environments make more sense. 
It would also be set at around summer turn autumn. But in the flashbacks it's at the start of autumn where everything is colourful and beautiful and then the present will be the end of autumn where all the trees are bare, a lot of dull colours in general.

We had a discussion together about the ideas I had in mind for the scenery for each scene, and based on our combined ideas, Lottie gathered together some mood boards for me to use as reference to finalise the layouts for. This also was using the concept drawings I did earlier on that showed a lot of scenery in them, so it's a bit of a combination of everything we've come up with, as to what I went forward with for the final layouts.
These are the mood boards Lottie gave me.

Cafe:

Chapel:


Park:



I started with the suburban house/neighbourhood.

 Lottie drew up these sketches of what she had in mind for the house, which shows that we basically have the same idea in mind, so I took those off of her to work with and use as reference.

I also had a look online at some suburban American houses and area surrounding, to see if what I was picturing would work well. These are a few images in particular I thought were perfect for the street we are drawing for our opening scene. I used these a lot as the basis for my sketches.





These were my first sketches I had in mind for how it could look.


From these I thought that i liked the simplicity of the first house sketch. I thought that based on how our scenes look in the animatic, even if we drew a 2 story house, you would only really end up seeing the bottom floor; So to allow for a better looking background in those scenes, I decided to take from the first sketch and develop on it with some different examples for how it could look.

I liked the first and fourth design the best, but I couldn't really choose between them, so I decided to start shading them the way I would do all of the layouts and see how it comes out looking.

I quickly decided from this, that I liked the 4th sketch the best. I really liked the idea of the house having a porch at the front, because it makes a boring looking house look a lot nicer. I think that the 4th sketch is the best design for it.

From here I started working into the sketch I chose and added the details to it as I went along. For the most part I worked using the ideas from storyboard and reference images that I collected. The house is the main thing featured in the background of this scene, so that was the important thing we needed to research.



The finished layout drawing.



Once I finished this, the main feature of the background for this scene, I went on to draw the other views of the street.

Starting off with a rough sketch for composition, and to mark where I would draw each element.

This would be showing where the young girl would bike in from. Showing the street's basic layout for how everything should look.

I then worked into it with shading to draw it up properly.


I deleted the sketch layer as I worked into it with the details and cleaned it up a bit too. 

This is the finished layout drawing. To give me a better chance to colour in some really nice lighting and colouring, it was important to have a lot of trees on the street either side, as shown in the reference images too. Also, as it is set in New York, there is skyscrapers in the distance too.


I then drew it up a sketch for a head on view of the road and the street.


And again I added in the basic shading to map out everything. This doesn't have to show too much as this particular part of the scene will have the main focus being the girl biking towards the camera.


After cleaning it up and getting rid of the sketch, this is the final layout drawing.


Finally I started a sketch that would be from the house's perspective, looking out at the street.

And then worked into it with shading.


This is the final result of this layout drawing.


I then gathered together all of the drawings to complete this background's layout. I then handed this over to Lauren so that she can begin building a rough scene using these.





From my earlier mood boards and concept drawings, I started sketching up a drawing of the Cafe layout, from the outside. I knew exactly how this should look so I felt there wasn't any need to try out even more designs for it. 

To start off with, so that I know how the layout of the inside should be, I made this quick plan for it.


There is two windows, with the door next to it, and six tables set out. 

I drew out the sketch, which as I said I already had planned out at an earlier stage.


There has to be a prominent tree that falls in front of the main window, as that plays an important part in this scene.

I then worked into it with shading, to work out the lighting.



After adding in the details, this is the finished layout drawing.


From here I started working on the view of the main table in the cafe, where our characters would be sat for this scene. I have done a lot of early concept drawings for this, so I was ready to draw it straight out.


Then I went in with the shading to get an idea for lighting.


After cleaning it up here is the finished result.


I then started sketching out the view of the inside of the cafe fully; At least enough to show the layout of the scene.


And as always work in with shading. 


I wanted the lighting to be really nice for this, because when the scene shows their silhouette from the side, the light behind them has to be really strong. It's supposed to be quite an emotional scene, so this is just to show how that will go. This is the finished layout drawing.


For the next one, I wanted to get a view of the counter and the doorway. I started sketching it out.


And then working into it with shading.


Adding in the details and lighting, this is the final result.



Finally, I needed to get some more views of the outside of the cafe, as there is a part of the film where it shows it from the outside. I started these two views on either side as if you had just walked out of the cafe.



I worked into these sketches with shading again. 



I cleaned it up and added some details, and this is the finished version.



I also put together all of the layouts for the cafe scene into one, to give to Lauren to use as reference.




Week 13

Dec 14th - Dec 20th


This week I continued with drawing out the layouts for the backgrounds. I had finished the house layout and the cafe layout, leaving me with two left to do. I'm really happy with what's done so far, I like how I've handled the lighting, and how I've mapped everything out.

I wanted to start working on the park layout first.

I had taken some photo's of a park near where I live, where the path and the trees were in a similar position to what I thought would look good for the park layout. 
Some of them came out a bit blurry as I was on my bike at the time, but I think they are a good reference.



I also gathered some images I found on google to give me a better idea of a park like central park would look like and how I could incorporate any of it's features into the layouts.


I really loved the bridge and lake in this image. It also looks like it's taken in autumn, which makes the trees and everything just really colourful. This is a good example of how I should make the memories look in this scene.

Although I did also have our previous mood boards that we gathered together for the park earlier on, I ended up heavily using elements from these pictures when I got into sketching the layouts up. 



I then started out sketching my layouts up.
For starters I decided to go straight in with the same angle of the bench the girl will be sat at, from my early on concept drawing for the park.


Using this really rough sketch I went straight in with some shading. 



As I don't like to spend too much time sketching and planning things out. I prefer to go straight into the colouring/shading and work with what I have and build up on it.




I cleaned it up a lot and added a lot of details to it, to have this finished drawing. I wanted the bench to have a tree each side of it, because this allows me to do something nice with the lighting during production.


I then started sketching the opposite bench where our main male character will be sitting.

His bench will be more in the shade, as to make the girl look a lot more brighter and like she's glowing in the sunlight.


Again after cleaning this up, this is the finished drawing.


I then wanted to draw an view that showed both of the benches, their distance from each other, and the lighting as if it was a photo taken from behind the bench the girl is going to be sat on.



I added the shading to it, showing that both the benches are prominent.


And then I hid the sketch and the lines, and used the shading to work into further.


This is the cleaned up finished drawing.


Now I needed to draw a view of the pathway, from head on. I want the trees to be leaning towards the path almost, so that they look like they're creating an arch shape.


This is based on a image in particular I gathered on that collection of images.

I then added the shading to it.


It needed to get darker at the foreground and then lighter in the distance, to show the lighting. As you can see there are multiple benches and trash cans either side of the path. There is one scene where this view is shown, so it was important to draw this up right.

I then hid the sketch layer again when I could, and worked into the shading.


This is the finished drawing.


Finally I was left with this long shot view of the park, in which I wanted it to have a lake, a bridge, a lot of trees and benches and to have this big curved pathway come down it. This view will be used when he is walking towards the camera, walking through the park.


I started out with this sketch, but I thought I should take the chance to add as much as I possibly could to this background, so that it looks really good in the film.

This was a sketch I felt I was more happy with.



I started working into it with shading.


I as always hid the sketch layers as I began to go into it with more detail.


After finishing the details and cleaning it up, I'm really happy with how this layout looks in particular. I think that when I colour it properly for the film it will look really good.


With this, I finished the park layout completely, so I put them all together to then pass on to Lauren for reference in maya.




I went straight onto working on the chapel layout. I used Lottie's mood boards as reference, and I also gathered some of my own research on google for some chapel images that suited what I was going for.




I started sketching a generic church from this, and then worked into it with details I wanted. I really wanted to have three large windows behind the alter that would shine light through to the whole church. It would be really bright beautiful light.


Lottie really liked the idea of having an arch at the alter that would have flowers all over it. The couple would stand under this arch. I tried my best to incorporate this in and still have it work with the overall layout of the chapel.


I added some more lighting details to it, and this is the result, which I'm really happy with.


I then wanted to get a close up view of the alter, because it is the most featured area in the whole wedding scene. It shows the three large windows too that spread all of the light.


I then as always added shading to it.

This is the final version after cleaning it up.


Finally I needed to do a back view of the chapel. In the wedding scene, they kiss and the camera will pan around them. That means it's important that we know what the back of the chapel looks like as well as the front view.
I used the reference images I gathered together again, to give me an idea of how the door should look. This is my first sketch.

Using for the most part the same shading, I then went and filled in the sketch with the lighting that I thought was best.

And then this is the final result, after working into it and deleting the initial sketch.

I'm really happy with how this turned out, I think the lighting is quite realistic actually, so I'm proud of how this layout turned out. It shows everything it needs to show. I thought the ribbons really made a difference to this layout, as it really makes it look like a wedding. Other than that there wasn't much else that prominently shows it's a wedding.

I then put these altogether to give to Lauren, and then this is the last of the layouts for our film.





Week 16 (Reading Week)

Jan 4th - Jan 10th


During this reading week, I decided to focus for the most part on writing my dissertation, as our first draft hand in will be coming up soon. I did also start a little bit looking at the 3d environments for the café scene towards the end of the week and started some of it too. 

I wanted to start with our 3d environments as soon as possible, so that we could get on with our animating.

For this I used my layout designs, and started to build the scene going by my layouts.
I imported in my layouts as an image plane into maya, so that I could get it as accurate as possible to the design.

I started out with the Café scene, as for me it's my biggest challenge to get through. I went for building the table and chairs first, as they are drawn flat on my layout, directly sideways. I can also just duplicate them when I've built one.


The environment is there solely as reference, so that in each shot we will know what part of the background goes where, especially at awkward angles. For this reason the environment in 3d just needs to be quick and simple, so that it does the job.

I then started on one of the chairs.


This was really quick and simple to do, didn't require any really technical modelling.



I was checking at all times, from the front view that it matched as perfectly as I could get it to my design.
After this, I just duplicated the chair, and flipped it to the other side, so that we now have a good café table set.


At this point, I created a flat plain, to measure against the window wall, in the layout. I used the 'insert edge loop' tool, to then measure out the windows and delete them. I then got started on building the little wall barricade, that separates the tables from the entrance door way. I had to use a few of my layout pictures to get the sizing right.


I then built this small pedestal, that is going to hold some kind of generic plant on it. This is just here so that there's something a bit interesting behind our guy in the scene. I just built this with a basic rectangle.



Now I started to build the counter, where the cashier would be, and where the bowl of oranges would be sitting. I only drew this as a layout from one view, so I for the most part just improvised based on how I think it should look, and what position it should be.



I kind of built it in a U shape, so that there would be the appropriate space where a cashier could be. After thinking about it, I figured that the gap should be the wall side instead, because otherwise people that would walk in the shop would be able to go straight behind the counter. So I flipped it to be the other way around.




I put in an edge loop near the top, so that I could extrude out this part to make it look more like a counter surface. This would also create a shadow that would make the counter easier to see in the background.



When it comes to the bowl of oranges, I didn't want to spend a long time attempting to model it all, because we don't have a lot of time to spend on things like this. So I looked for a royalty free model online that I could use just for this purpose. I found this one online that was free to use:






This works perfectly, although it's apples, when we need a bowl of oranges, it's a perfect reference. I placed it in the right place, where it will need to be shown in one of the shots.


Week 17

Jan 11th - Jan 17th


Over Christmas, we all mutually decided to give it a break with the work, since really it's the last proper break we can take before we start getting really busy. So this week is our starting week back from the Christmas break.

After a meeting with the lecturers, they suggested that we go back and work on a proper test, where all three of us have an input on the process, so that we can be sure that we can all do it.

We went back to our original test, and decided to split it between us. So working with Lauren's 3d walk cycle again, Lottie took on the 2d sketch over it, which I had also done earlier. So this is something that all of us would split between us for the film. Then Lottie did the flat colour over the sketch. Again we would all split this between us. Finally, I did the details on him, so the face, the shading and anything extra that needs adding.

This was Lottie's flat colour animation for the test.


This is from where I took Lottie's flat colour and started working into it.







After drawing in his face details, I then went onto shading the rest of his body. I enjoy doing the shading process.




After doing this with every frame, it was ready to be put together with the previous versions, so that we had a decent test process video.

This is the finished version, with all 4 sections.


We also had some technical issues with our rigs, that we tried to fix during this week, which turned out to be because we were missing a file that we should've downloaded with the rigs.

Continuing on with building the 3D environments, I finished them both up this week.



I then went through and duplicated the table and chair set five times, and placed them in the right positions, based on the small floor plan I drew up.


I now went in on the little details, like these lamp fittings that you can see are drawn on the layout in the background. I didn't do this neatly at all, and it probably looks a complete mess if it was put in smooth mode, but it's alright for just reference.



With this, the main café building was done. I also obviously built the plain room walls around it. The only other things left to do were to add in street lights, a pathway, rectangles to show where trees would be and a few plain square buildings either side, just in case we need to show the outside at any point.



This is what I built to show a tree. All I really need is a rectangle to show where the tree will be in certain shots, so this is all I did where necessary. I also added in a flat plane pathway, and square buildings each side, the same as the layouts.



Then I started to build a street light. I did this by repeatedly extruding the shape and shaping it to what I think it should be sized like.



This is a close up from the side view that shows how I've extruded and shaped the light part.




This is a finished shot of the café environment as a whole, from the outside. With this it's finished and it's ready to be used with the character rigs.

I also did a quick lighting test to see if it would be usable in the render view. The lighting would've been useful, for understanding where the shading would have to go, but it isn't completely necessary.


As it turns out it just wouldn't have worked, and rendering them all when we could just do playblasts would've been a big waste of time so we agreed against it.



I then went straight onto building the chapel scene's environment.

After  placing a large rectangle, that will be the walls and the building itself, I wanted to work on the big windows, that are going to be this chapel's main feature.



I got a really tall and thin rectangle, and used the bend tool to shape it how I wanted it to be. I then duplicated it and put it the other side to complete the window's shape.


Then I took the bottom, and extruded it out to meet the other side. With this the first window is done, and now it's just the other two.



All I needed to do was duplicate the window once and size it down against my layout drawing. I made it a smaller width too. After it was the right size against the big window, I could duplicate the small one now to make a pair. I then placed it on the other side of the big window, which gives me the finished window set.


I had a few problems with the sizing, so I made the middle window a bit bigger.


I was having a few problems with getting everything to be the accurate size and height that they should be. I wanted to add in the stairs, but it was really confusing trying to get them to be the right height and width in particular.

 Because of the set up of the scene, the alter and the windows have to be a bit higher up than where the benches will be so that they stand out as a focal point.


I started to build the stairs by adding in a lot of edge loops, and then using vertex to stretch each step out to what I think is suitable. Depending on how it all comes together at the end, it might need sizing differently.


I made a basic rectangle, that will be the alter up on top of the stairs. The couple will stand in front of this with the archway I will build. I also at this point made a bench for the audience, which I then duplicated a lot of times to make up all of the benches in the audience. I had to put the rigs in the scene, so that I could size the benches and everything appropriately.


Lottie wanted the chapel to have like a flower archway which the couple would stand under at the front. So I started to build a simple arch in the same way I built the window, with the bend tool. I then duplicated it to the other side to complete it.


I selected both of the faces and used 'bridge' to connect to two pieces.




I positioned it correctly, again judging it to the size of our rigs. With this, all of the chapel that needed to be built is done and ready for the characters to be set up.



I decided while I was at it to position the characters as they should be for this scene, and also so that I could measure them to the environment properly.




Week 18

Jan 18th - Jan 24th


Next week we have our dissertation draft hand in, which is our last big chance to get thorough feedback on our work. So for the most part we decided to focus on putting as much of our time as possible in writing for that this week. 

Besides this, the lecturers also wanted us to have all of the cameras set up to the shots ready for next week, which isn't too big of a job so I was okay with getting this done along side my dissertation this week.

So I went through and saved the environments for each shot, so that I could set up the camera in each as close as I can get it to how it is in the animatic. Lauren also wrote me out a shot list, so that I could go through and cross them off as I go.




Taking my 3D environments, I put the rigs into the scene, and set up the camera for each shot, going by both the shot list and the animatic. I wanted to get them as close as I possibly can to each shot in the animatic. I set up a sort of dual screen so that I could move the camera to where it needs to be, whilst checking in the camera view that it looks right. I saved the shots separately too, to make my files more organised and so I wouldn't be confused or save over another shot by accident.

These are all of my camera shots set up and ready to go in with animating the characters. Starting with the Café scene.


Café shot 3


Café shot 7



Café shot 9



Café shot 10



Café shot 11



Café shot 12



Café shot 14



Café shot 15



Café shot 16



Café shot 17



Café shot 18



Café shot 20



Café shot 22



Café shot 23





Then I started doing the same with the chapel scene, which takes place in-between the café scene.





Chapel shot 2









Week 19


Jan 25th - Jan 31st



As I said before this week was mostly about getting a lot of writing done for our dissertation draft on wednesday, so most of my focus was on that. After Wednesday, I was able to get back into this and finish off the camera shots, and fixing some of the positioning of them. Some of the shots that worked really well in the animatic don't work quite the same in actual 3D, so I had to adjust the cameras a bit in some of them, in particular for the Chapel scene.






Chapel shot 3



Chapel shot 4



Chapel shot 5



Chapel shot 6



There are some shots that I didn't bother setting up in 3D, as they are all simple shots that I feel like will be a lot easier to draw out and animate in 2D. These are mostly close ups of hand movements, and since the rigs' hands aren't very flexible, it's just better to draw it completely.




Although the dissertation kept us busy for most of the week, we did actually agree that we would try to have something animated for this week to show each other. This would be our first real time going into animating in Maya, so we took a while to get a hang of the tools and controls again. I started working on the chapel scene, and this is the first shot after a hand close up.




I posed them first, and then went in to animate them. I tried to act out the movements myself and base the animations on it.




Week 20

Feb 1st - Feb 7th




This week we got properly into our animation in 3D. I sort of took control of the schedule, because I was planning ahead and trying to figure out how long each section of production will take us. I figured that for the 3D animating we should get it done by mid February and leave it no later than that. That way we have plenty of time to draw over with 2D and colour and everything else, which I think are going to take a lot longer to do than the 3D animation.

From this I decided on having it completed by the 15th, and if there are any tweaks or problems we have to fix, we can do that up until the 20th at the latest. This gives us a good two weeks to get through these shots and get the 3D ready asap.

For this week first I wanted to continue with the Chapel/wedding scene, and get all of those shots out of the way first. That way I can spend the second week animating the Cafe scene.



I decided to animate shot 7 next. Originally in the animatic, he doesn't really move in this shot, but I don't like the idea of just having him completely still, when if anything there would be natural movements. So I tried to animate him as if he's taking a deep breath, whilst looking sincerely at the girl.

When I was happy with how shot 7 was looking, I went straight on to tackle probably the toughest shot that needs animating. This is still technically a part of shot 7, but it's a big part by itself. In this shot they lean in and have their wedding kiss, as the camera pans around them.

I knew this shot would be impossibly hard to figure out in just 2D, so I really needed this to be as solid as it can be to make it easier on me later.


The actual animation I really enjoyed doing. I tried to find any kind of reference videos to get the movement right.


 I had to get a lot of help from Simon with the camera pan, as I couldn't figure out how I could get it to uniformly pan around and end in a really specific place. It involved a lot of messing around in the graph editor, and trial and error.


We curved it a lot and had to add in a few extra frames to make it work. I still don't feel like it's at 100%, as it's not completely smooth and sort of lags in places. But I do think it's the best we could've got it to, and I'm really thankful for the help I got with working it out. The graph editor is one thing in Maya that I just haven't managed to get a hold of yet, it still confuses me too much and I don't feel like I can use it myself to animate.


This just shows how the camera is moving.


This is where the shot finishes. It has to be this specific angle that it finishes on, so that when it transitions into the next shot, it flows nicely.














I'm glad I did this shot early on, and got help with it or I would have been stressing and struggling with it later on.



I then worked on the shot that this transitions to, so again it's still classed as being 'shot 7'. This shot ends with him taking a deep sigh as he looks down at the divorce papers.




The Morpheus rig and the Sam rig have functions where you can type in a value to simulate breathing, which was really useful for this shot. I also made sure to start animating his face features too. I wasn't originally planning on doing this as I figured it's something I could just worry about when I do the 2D on top. Once I tried it in the previous shot though, I found it really helpful for making the animation better. I suggested this to Lauren and Lottie too, but I think they didn't want to get into trying to animate the facial features.








Week 21
Feb 8th - Feb 14th


This week, I decided that I would get through all of the Cafe scene's 3D animation, ready in time for the 15th. This way I'm on schedule and will have plenty of time to make any adjustments and plenty of time to get onto the 2D animating. This is a lot more shots to get through in one week compared to last week's Chapel shots, but I worked really really hard to get them all done in a short amount of time, and I met my target which makes me feel a sense of achievement. It was a lot of work to get through all of these, and I worked on it all day every day of this week to get it done.


I went on to animate shot 9 now. I have really good ideas for this shot that we could use a sort of Depth of field effect, with a shallow focus. This would mean that he and the background is in focus first and as he looks over at the oranges, the focus switches to the oranges. I think this is something that we will work out when we get to the editing stage of the film.





I am really happy with this shot, I think that the movement looks good. I had to act this out in particular over and over because I couldn't figure out how he should move, so I'm please that it looks okay.


Leading straight on from shot 9, I could take it into animating shot 10, which follows on from it with a close up of him. Again, there wasn't much movement planned here during the animatic stage, so I tried my best to work in some natural movements, and have him taking a really deep breath.  I wanted this to show in his face expression too, he is supposed to be looking at the oranges and being really deep in his thoughts about what the orange signifies for their relationship, so he needs to have a bit of a pained expression during this shot.


He also has to be ever so slightly startled when the girl comes into shot, as he's so deep in thought that he didn't immediately see her. This shows that he's transfixed by the memories that he has of her.



I do think that the natural movements in this shot work really well, and what I wanted the shot to get across has been successful.  I think this shot might be tough to draw over in 2D as it's a slow movement that will need a really big amount of frames. I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to draw over it well enough to show the movement as I want to.


I then went onto animating shot 11. 


I find the Sam rig much easier to work with than the Morpheus rig. She has really clear and simple movement controls, and her facial controls are also a lot easier to understand, whilst Morpheus' face expression controls are really fiddly and hard to move around.

I also at this stage added in some duplicates of the rigs to put in the backgrounds. This is just to show where random people in the background will be sat at tables, as it'd be really strange to have a completely empty cafe.


I animated her so that she's giving a sort of sympathetic smile to him, as if to say ah this is an unfortunate situation that we're in.

To animate shot 12, I could start using the end animation of shot 10. The camera for this shot is in the same position, and it pretty much follows on from shot 10 also.




His eyes are following her as she sits down, and then he regrettably looks down at the divorce papers. Looking back over this animation I see that I don't think I got his face completely straight as he is looking down, which doesn't matter a lot for the 3D but might look strange when drawing over it. We'll have to see when we get to it though.

By this point I was definitely picking up the speed I was working at, and managing to get through animating each shot quicker, with less issues. I do find it annoying though, that the mistakes I learned from by this point, would have taken too much time to go back and do the same to on previous shots. And there were new techniques I figured out, to make the process quicker, which I could do from now on, that would've helped me get through the previous shots in maybe two days instead of a week. At least I'm learning from the experience though. I also feel like I'm getting better at 3D animation in general now.

Next I animated shot 14. Shot 13 is just a shot of the papers on the table, which will only require a couple of 2D drawings so I won't bother with using 3D for that. I built a really quick basic shape for a coffee cup also for this. I just need there to be one to show where it is in each shot.


This is another shot where originally she was just going to be sat still looking down at the table. I thought I'd make it more interesting by having the shot start with her drinking from a 'to-go' coffee, and placing it down. I gave her a 'to-go' coffee because that way it looks as if she never had any intention of staying for long anyway. She only came to sign the papers and make sure that he signs them too. I really got the hang of her arm joints during this shot.


I created a sphere to put in his hand as the orange.



Then I animated shot 15, which again doesn't have much movement, so I focused on his face expression and tried to have him moving every so slightly, to make it more natural 



Shot 16 is the same as shot 15, but for the girl instead. So again, I focused on her face expression, showing her shock and guilt as she can see he's trying one last time to see if their relationship still has a chance.



For shot 17, I didn't animate anything in it, because as per our animatic this shot is supposed to be a really emotional scene, where the light is shining through bright and you can only see their silhouettes with a vibrant coloured orange in his hand. I think that it's important that their is no movement here as it would take away from the emotion of this shot. I posed them how they need to be for this shot, and I animated the camera zooming out ever so slightly.




Shot 18 was difficult in that, she is really just still in the animatic holding the orange. 



I couldn't figure out how I could make this shot work, with the camera, that would have her just holding it in this position. So I decided that I would animate her as she ha just picked the orange up from his hands, and she brings it towards her during the shot.



 It's also important that we don't see her face during this shot, as the focus definitely has to be on the orange in her hands. 



Shot 19 has the same camera and framing as shot 16. In this shot she looks at the orange while she thinks, but ultimately sighs and shakes her head to show her rejecting him. This was a lot of animating her face expression again, and animating her breathing out as she sighs.



I had to mess about with this quite a bit so that it would animate her shaking her head properly. Her head had to kind of dip down as she went from the right to the left.


Following on from this I animated shot 20. He has a sort of sad and shocked expression in the animatic in this shot, so I animated his face looking up very slightly and his expression of shock turning into sadness.



Shot 21 is going to be a hand close up of her placing the orange on the table as it loses it's colour. So this is a shot I decided not to animate in 3D because I think I can do a better job of it in 2D, as I'm especially good at drawing a female's hand.



I went on to animate shot 22 in 3D. In this shot it will slowly zoom in as he sighs and nods his head down, as if to say he accepts that it's over now. He has to look at the orange on the table for a few seconds first as he has a think and accepts the situation.


As you can see, in the background is all of the duplicate rigs to show random customers at the cafe.




Finally, I went on to animate the final shot in the film, shot 23. 

This shot zooms out of the cafe, whilst still showing him going to write something, which would obviously be him signing the divorce papers. We also have the girl standing up and walking away, to leave the cafe, although this isn't as important, so the focus stays on him.

I animated her standing up with the to-go cup of coffee in her hand, and I didn't animate her physically walking away, I just animated her moving away, because I think it'll be easier to animate the walking in 2D. It was kind of impossible to animate her standing up without being inside of the table, so again this is something I will fix in 2D.



I placed some random spheres at the where the last frame is, to show where apples would be on the tree outside. This is something that I decided to change about the film, as it was originally going to be a cherry tree. I just thought that a cherry was a random fruit to choose, and it would be really tiny and hard to see on the tree. The 'new fruit' has a lot of symbolism, as new beginnings for him in the film, so the fruit has to be prominent at the end of this shot as it gains it's colour. I thought a new green apple would be more appropriate for this, and my group agreed.


I animated the camera zooming out too, as the apples come into frame.

With this all of my 3D animation shots are done and out of the way. I think that the other members of the group were a little bit behind with this, but as we said that until the 15th and at the latest the 20th, we can afford to have until then to do this. I think that doing this part of the process has changed my feelings toward 3D and 3D animation, and I feel a lot better about it now. I also think I've improved tremendously with it as I've gone along. This was an awful lot of work on me this week to get through this but I feel happy that it's now out of the way.






Week 22
 Feb 15th - Feb 21st


Starting off this week, I had to go back into my 3D animations a bit, and do some small tweaks. These were only small little issues I noticed, like timing for example, so it's not really much worth mentioning, but it did take up a good few days of this week to sort out. 

I also this week went through and made playblasts of all of the shots in 3D. We decided to do playblasts instead of rendering them, for timing reasons. It would have taken a very long time to render out the scenes, and it would've added in lighting and textures that we didn't want. So all in all it was a much quicker and better process to do playblasts off them.

These are all of my Playblast shots in 3D in the correct order:

(Edit: Since doing this a lot later down the line I had some small issues with timing and some other problems that I fixed, so I have re-uploaded this playblast shots to youtube, in their final form)



Shot 3:




Shot 5:





Shot 6:



Shot 7:











Shot 9:



Shot 10:



Shot 11:



Shot 12:





Shot 14:




Shot 15:




Shot 16:




Shot 17:




Shot 18:




Shot 19:




Shot 20:



Shot 22:




Shot 23:









Week 23
 Feb 22nd - Feb 28th


This week I got onto the 2D drawing over of the 3D playblasts. This is the fun part that I was looking forward to, because although I'm now getting better with 3D animation, I'm still more experienced with 2D and know what I'm doing.

I didn't really do these in any particular order.

I decided to start out with shot 10, because it's a clear image of him, and a good starting point to get used to drawing our character into his cast.


nothing really needs to change about his body proportions, so it's just a matter of drawing our character's details into him.








Getting through all of the frames, I'm not going to lie, took me a much longer time to do than I thought it would. It wasn't a difficult process at all, but it's just really time consuming.

After getting through all of the frames, I started on the background. To make the background have this kind of jittery effect, like in 'The Dam Keeper' and like it is all drawn, I decided to draw all of the backgrounds twice, and show one every other frame.




I did all of this in Photoshop, as it's the best program for drawing and animating from my point of view. So all I did when this was finished, is fix the timing of the frames a bit. Put each of the frames timing to about 0.08, or 0.07 if needs be for the delay time.



Finally I just exported it as a whole shot, and uploaded it to my Youtube.




Next I went onto shot 14, which I decided to tackle earlier on as it involves both characters. So I knew this shot would take a long time and that it wouldn't be easy. It's better to get the tough ones out of the way first.

I would draw over the guy in each of the frames first before drawing her, because he required less effort.


I drew in little details into his sweater. Just creases, so that it's more obvious that he's wearing a top.


This was my first real attempt at drawing over her. Her body was fine to draw, but as her head is a bit wider, it takes a bit more working out.









It was quite difficult figuring out her hair mostly, as it moves angles. It's not something I even considered back when I was designing the characters. But at the same time, everyone, even the lecturers were really keen on my initial design for her so it's not something we thought about.

This shot definitely took me the longest so far, it took me a couple of days actually, which I wasn't expecting. I am very happy with how the shot looks though.





After shot 14 was complete, I went back to do shot 12. This leads on from shot 10, so it was easier to do.




I did have some issues with this shot, as on the 3D animation, I didn't make his face completely straight side on. So this meant it was a slightly awkward position with his right eye. I sort of had to come to the decision to have it vanish or keep it there.






The final exported shot:




Next I started working on shot 15. This is just a close up of his face, with not much movement so it wasn't too difficult to do and I thought it would be a bit more of a relaxing shot to do after the ones so far.






I think that after playing the animation back, it doesn't pick up much of the movement from the 3D animation at all, but I really did draw over it with as much care possible, so I don't think I could've picked up all of the movement as much as I wanted to.




Shot 15 didn't take me as much time to get through as the other shots, so while I was at it, I decided to do shot 16 which is the mirror for shot 15.


I actually struggled with this shot a lot more than I thought that I would. Because the sam rig's head is much wider than our character, I almost had to completely ignore the 3D, because every frame I drew actually had to be different. It took me a while to do the first frame, to try and get her face and hair shape as best I could.



I still don't think that it's 100%, but I think it's still a good resemblance to our character. If i have time I will go back and fix her up a bit in this shot.



Finally this week, I worked on shot 3, which is the first of my playblasts actually. I felt confident enough in drawing over him with my character to be able to do a more full on shot of him.













I actually really enjoyed drawing out this shot. My lecturers have pointed out that they think Maya's natural camera distortion has made his hands appear a bit too big. I see what they're saying about this, but at the same time I don't think it looks bad and is very noticeable, so if I'm going to change this, it's not going to be very prioritised for me.






Week 24
 Feb 29th - Mar 6th


Continuing this week with 2D draw overs, and animation, I started off with shot 9, which is basically the wide shot version of shot 10. 













The background took a long time to draw twice on this shot. It's because it's showing a lot more scenery in the background, so there was more details to draw.


The finished shot:





Next I worked on shot 11. This is a straight on view of the girl, so her hair and face were much easier for me to work out, I felt.

As you can see here, this is about where the character's face falls, in comparison to the sam rig. This is why she is a bit more difficult for drawing over, but once I've figured it out properly it gets a lot easier to keep working with.


And this is where her hair falls in comparison to the sam rig. All in all her face is just a lot smaller than Sam's.



As her head starts leaning back, it got a bit more difficult for me to understand her face. The way her face is kind of squashed it true to the rig's movements however, so it is actually how it's supposed to look.










Again the background is a bit more extensive in this shot, so there was a lot to draw for it.




I've definitely spent a lot of time working on this shot, considering it's one of the shorter ones, but I am please with the result.






After spending a lot of time drawing the girl in shot 11, I decided that I would use the experience from that shot to work on shot 19 which is the same kind of framing as shot 16.

I think that I had a better handle of things in this shot, and a better understanding of her facial structure. 















I think that her shaking her face side to side, isn't the smoothest bit of animation on this shot. I worked at it quite a lot to make it as smooth as I could. After quite a few attempts at those last few frames, I think this is the best I could get.






Following on from shot 19, I just went ahead with shot 20 right after.

I really like this shot, because you really see the emotion in his face, as he comes to terms with the situation. There isn't any movement in this besides his face moving back as his expression changes, so it hasn't taken me too long to get through. I tried to make his eyes shrink slightly too to show the shock on his face.

















This is the final exported shot. I'm really pleased with how this shot looks.





Finally, this week I started working on the film's final shot, shot 23. This is another really long shot, and it has both characters in it so it's taking me the longest to do right now. I animated the 3D shot so that the camera is zooming out, so every frame I draw has to be a bit further away. 















Because I didn't animate a walk cycle away for the girl, I had to draw it out in 2D. This wasn't difficult though, and I basically worked it out as I go in each frame.  

I drew out the background twice as always with this, but due to the whole zooming out aspect of the shot, it doesn't work properly, so this is something I'll have to eventually figure out later down the line. For now I want to focus on getting through all of the shots.








Week 25
 Mar 7th - Mar 13th


This week, I continued on with the 2D draw overs for each shot. I decided to start the Chapel shots and get them over with, before I start with the hand close up shots.

I chose to work on the beginning of shot 7. This is a shot of just him, where it's showing him taking a deep breath.










She didn't need to move in this shot, so to add the jittery effect, I just drew her twice on separate frames.

I spoke to the lecturers about this in a review session, and they stated that I might need to fix his hair, as it has a bit of a wig look to it. This is something I'll fix later on.






Next I did a still shot, which is shot 6, that will be zoomed out as it's played. To do this quick shot, I just needed to draw the whole frame twice. This would be enough to get the effect we're after.










This is the exported video:





The next shot that I decided to work on is the longest and most difficult shot in the whole film to work out and draw over. This is the continuation of shot 7, it's a shot where the camera pans around the couple as they have their first kiss at the wedding. Because of this, it takes a lot of working out to see where her head should be in each frame and each position. There is also a really huge amount of frames in this shot, so it's going to be the most difficult shot for me to animate.


Another thing to note is that her neck is a lot longer than the Sam rig's neck. Or at least, because Sam's head is bigger it hides more of her neck, which means that more of her neck is going to be exposed on the character. 

This shot really did take some working out for the girl character. After a few attempts at it, changing it around and seeing if I can make it look more like our character, I was finally getting somewhere with it.  This is the distance to where the character's head falls in comparison to the rig.


After figuring out her head, her hair was the next problem. I really did have to re-draw this several times to get it right. In the end I pressed it down a bit, which made it look a lot better. Her hair looks more bouncy this way.




Like in shot 14, he was a lot easier to draw, because it's the back of him, and for the start he doesn't show much movement.




I spent a good few days working on this shot, and there was a lot more left to do. As we had a formal review coming up this week, I decided to leave this shot here for now, and focus on getting the cafe shots done.


We also had a formal review this week, where the lecturers had a look at our progress and gave us feedback. I showed all of my exported shots so far, and they gave me a handful of small changes and tweaks to make to some of the shots. In particular, for example the backgrounds were too jittery and stole focus from the character animation in most of the shots. They said that it looked too distracting, so I should make sure that the second drawn version of the background in each shot should be as closely traced to the first shot as possible, to show only minimal jitter to it. There were some other issues with making the hair look more natural when it moves and little things like this. I have since gone back and made most of these changes to all of the shots, and re-uploaded them. So now each shot shown is the amended version.

I was also told that I should draw up a character expression sheet for the benefit of the other team members. This is something that was discussed at the pre-production stage, but they felt like they didn't really need an expression sheet. As we've got further into production, I think they've found it a bit tougher than they originally anticipated, and agreed that they could now do with the reference of an expression sheet.
I got working on this straight away. I decided to only do one for the girl and one for the boy, not one for each of their generations too, as this would be unnecessary.

Starting with the girl, I just decided to trace her outline from the original head shot I drew for her, as it's a clear head on angle, and it's good for this.









After I had the basic poker face, I just duplicated the drawing several times, and changed the expression on each.






These were all of the expressions I could think of, at least that they would need anyway.

After this I went on to draw the guy's expression sheet.











I did the exact same process as with the girl, so now I could just go on and do all of the other expressions I could think of.








Week 26
 Mar 14th - Mar 20th


At the end of this week, we have our rough cut deadline, which is where we will export all of our finished drawn shots and playblasts, and place them into premiere. We have to make sort of like an animatic out of it, so that for the first time we can really see how our film is coming together, and how it will work.

To prepare for this, I wanted to try and get all of the hand close up shots done, to have my shots come together a lot better and flow nicely in the rough cut.

I started off with shot 8. This is just where he is looking down at the table at his divorce papers. The shot is still, but I will edit it so that it zooms very slowly out.






After I had the rough sketch that I wanted, I turned down the opacity and started drawing cleaner lines over it.












Once I was happy with how it looked, I traced the whole drawing a second time, to get the jittery effect.

This is the finished shot.




Next I decided to do shot 17, which is another still shot, like shot 6 so it only needed to be drawn out twice.

This is the shot from the side point of view, where it shows their silhouettes as he offers her the orange. I will edit this also, so that it zooms out slightly, as it's just two frames repeated.
















The final shot:






Next I animated shot 21. This is a close up of her hand putting the orange down. I didn't animate this in 3D because it's just a close up of her hand, so I thought I would just take care of this in 2D. I started this off by drawing out keyframes. I started with the frame where her hand is placing it on the table.










After I had the keyframes, I went in and drew all of the in-betweens that were needed.

When I was happy with it, I cleaned up all of the frames, and made them look more accurate. I had to study my own hands quite a bit to get the frames as accurate as possible. 





I managed to get the movement to look as natural as possible, whilst studying my own hand, so I'm really pleased with how this shot looks.

I did realise however, that I had the dimensions of the canvas wrong, so I had to go back and make it correct. This means that the hand movement is just a bit in the middle and cut off, so I will need to go back and fix this.




Next I went to work on shot 13, which is very similar to the previous shot, except that it's the guy's hand and he's picking up the orange instead. I did this in the same way, by drawing out the keyframes first and then going in to do the in-betweens.






And then like before I cleaned up all of the frames. I tried to make it look more like a man's hand, despite the fact I was using my own hand as reference.




This is the finished shot. It had to be at an angle because of the way it is in the animatic, so I drew the background to suit this.






Next I had to do shot 1, which is a transition shot of him picking up the newspaper and letter, and then having the scenery change. I found a newspaper around the house which I looked at for reference, so I tried to just as usual draw the keyframes, and then draw each in-between as it comes.






I just re-drew the coffee cup and orange from shot 8.



I think this shot came out really good, I'm pleased that the movement is smooth too.






Finally, the last shot I tackled this week, is one of the toughest ones for me personally, shot 4. It's a close up of their hands as he is fiddling with his wedding ring, as it transitions into a memory of him putting the ring on her finger at their wedding. This is something that worried me, as although I enjoy drawing hands, I didn't know how this movement should go. 

The way I handled this is by getting my two relatives to position their hands for me in the sort of key poses I needed, whilst I drew out some really quick and rough key frames from them. I do work quite quickly, so I was able to do it this way quite easily, although it looks unbelievably rough and nasty. The key poses is all i really needed from them to be able to work with the rest of it by myself.

These are the rough key poses I drew based on their posing.
















After I drew these out, and just edited them a little bit, I drew out in-betweens in the same rough way.

Then I went through and cleaned them up.











I still think this shot isn't the best, and is a bit faulty in the movement, but I'm happy enough with it to take it forward. I don't particularly have time to go back into it and work further on it.





After I had this shot done, I spent the next day going through and fixing little timing mistakes and things that aren't worth mentioning, ready to export them finally for the rough cut.

I then put all of the shots I had finished in premiere and timed them correctly to the animatic. The shots that I haven't finished yet, I replaced with the 3D animated playblasts.

It only really took me an hour to sort this out, so the rest of the day I spent updating the blog and PDF ready for hand in.

This is my section of the rough cut, with just my work.






Me and Lottie then gave our parts to Lauren who just added them to hers, and exported them altogether.


This is the final rough cut that we handed in as a group.





I also this week went through and updated my shot list, that Lauren gave me. This is just for my own reasons as it shows me the progress i'm making and how I only have 3 shots left to sort out.



Week 27
 Mar 21st - Mar 27th


This week I carried on with getting through the draw over of my shots. At this point I was left with finishing only a few of more shots. This week is also the beginning of a two week Easter break. Although it's a holiday, I have planned to keep working on first the film, and then spending as much time as possible writing my dissertation.

Starting off with shot 22. This is where she has just rejected him, and the camera slowly pans into him as he takes a minute and then ultimately accepts the situation.



As always, after making sure the timing and the frame work was okay, I turned down the opacity of each frame, and began drawing over with our character.



To make it easier for myself I would use the hair as reference for the next frame, so that it would look right as he brings his head backwards for example.

When this shot was finished, I fixed up the timing once again so that the jitteriness of the frames would work best. I straight away playblasted it ready to add to our rough cut. Adrian who is sorting out the sound for the film needed the rough cut to have as much of the finished animation as possible, because his deadline is different to ours. So for the most part we continued on with out rough cut until we had all of the finished drawn animation.

Shot 22:






I then started working on shot 5, which is during the wedding flashback. 

Just after he has put the ring on her finger, they both look up at each other happily. This was the first shot that I animated in 3d, which was not very well done or finished, so for the most part I had to animate this shot from just the basic movement.





To start with this shot was not well timed at all in maya, so I had to mess about quite a bit with the timing in photoshop so that I would have it as good as I could possibly get it.




Again I had the problem of figuring out our character's head in comparison to the size of the model's head. This cause this shot to take a lot of time to get through despite how short it is.




Once I cleaned up the lines for her, I started to draw the guy. This is a lot easier as always because he's proportioned correctly to the model. He is also of course younger in this flash back, so we have him with his bigger curly hair and his suit.




At this point of the week, I decided that I needed to spend my time writing my dissertation as our deadline is quickly approaching after the easter break. For this reason I didn't get this shot finished yet. I will pick this up again probably after the dissertation hand in, when I can fully focus on it as well as the final shot I have left.




Week 28 - Week 30
 Mar 28th - Apr 17th


Starting with week 28, we were in the second week of Easter break. I decided that I would get as much writing done as possible for my dissertation this week. But first and foremost I needed to take a bit of a break from work. I spent a few days resting, before getting on with my dissertation. 


I didn't work on the film for the remainder of the time leading up to the dissertation hand in, as I decided that I needed to prioritise that. Our deadline for the dissertation was in week 30.




Week 31
  Apr 18th - Apr 24th


This week, as previously planned, I got on with finishing drawing up shot 5. And as I said before, this shot took a lot of work to figure out the proportions for the girl. I actually found this shot was more difficult and took more time than most of the other shots.



I took into consideration how her hair and veil would move as she lifted her head up, and spent a lot of time making sure that it moved authentically.


The same with his hair too. The background for this shot is still, and quite simple. It's just the huge windows of the chapel. I plan to have the light shine through really beautifully for this shot, so I'm excited to colour this later on.







When I played this back, I was impressed by how well it actually worked, considering I didn't have much to work with from the 3D playblast. The timing and everything worked surprisingly well, so I'm very happy with this shot.

Shot 5:





I then went on to try and work through the start of shot 7, which as I described before was looking like the hardest and most time consuming shot for me to work with. 

At this point the next frame I had to work on was a very awkward angle as the camera first starts to pan around, which really did take me almost a full day to work out.



As you can see, it's very different to the model, and it took a long time to get this right. I still don't think it's 100% but it's definitely the best I could get it and I wasn't willing to waste any more time on it.






From now on, the angle just got more and more awkward, so it really was difficult for me to get right.







As the camera pans around further, the easier it started to get for me, because I was already used to drawing their side portraits from the previous shot.





I did however start to find it increasingly difficult to get the size of his hand right. You do need to bear in mind however that the hand will for the most part disappear underneath her hair.










Week 32
  Apr 25th - May 1st


This week, I was still finishing off shot 7. There is the main turn that I have been drawing, and then it turns into him sat at the cafe by the end of the shot, that I needed to get done this week. 

As I previously said, it was getting easier to get through this shot, as the more of the guy that got into frame, it was easier to draw over, and took less working out.









I found it very easy to draw his character over the model, because there isn't a lot of difference.






This is sort of the cut off point, where as her hair takes the frame, it starts to fade back into present reality, and he fades back into his current self. Therefore he has to slowly disappear with her hair coming round.






 As you can see, where the model of him is, is where he will be sat at the cafe.

At this point I started working on the end part of shot 7 with the cafe. I started this separately and began working it into the same psd.





This would begin at the point the back of her hair is right in the middle of frame, so that as the camera continues to turn, he comes into frame in front of her.










I reached a point near the end of the week, where we needed to hand Adrian back as much of our animation as possible, and I hadn't finished this shot yet. What I decided to do, since it was starting to get closer to the deadline too, is leave this shot where it is now and get on with colouring and get back to this when I get around to the shot.

Shot 7:




We then put everything together, and sent Adrian the latest version of the rough cut:








Week 33
  May 2nd - May 8th


Although I have a lot of shots to get on colouring with, I did make a promise very early on in the project that since I was sort of put in charge of creating the whole visual look of the film, and since I had drawn up the layouts and characters that I would help both Lottie and Lauren with the colours and backgrounds for their shots.

The plan is that they give me the first frame of each of their shots, and I will fully colour the frame with the background and colours that it should be. Then hand it back to them so that they have the colours for their shots to finish themselves. 

Only Lauren ended up sending her shots, so I got straight to work with each of them. Since I didn't hear from Lottie all week, I just assumed that she was doing alright with colouring her own shots and just got on with Lauren's.




I pretty much spent the entire week working through these, as it was a lot more time consuming than I initially expected.



I went with this overall quite purply tone, which I did for all of them to get the sunset/sunrise time of day to show through with colours. Lauren had quite a bit of input in how the colours where going. Every time I would get a certain amount done I would send it to her and get her opinion on how it was looking and whether or not I should change the colour balance. We ended up changing some to a more pinky tone.



As well as the background I made sure to colour the characters and shade them so Lauren got the full colours and wouldn't have any problems working the rest of the shot out.




















I have this habit of changing up the colour balance as I go, because I constantly feel like I can improve on it and make it look better. I'm always a lot happier with the outcome though.















 I also made sure to lower the saturation and vibrancy for the present day shots, to really get that difference in present verses memory. Lauren was also very happy with that difference.

Here you can see the difference between the vibrancy of the memory colours:


And the dull desaturated present colours:


I would always make sure to colour them brightly first and then lower the saturation after. This way it's consistent.

Each Background I would draw twice, which is I think why it ended up being so time consuming. This keeps the jittery style of the film, and keeps it consistent. I decided that I would do each of them twice, instead of doing the first version and letting Lauren recreate it for the second version, because I knew Lauren would struggle with this and this way it stays consistent with the first drawn version.

After a lot of work on these shots, these are the final results, which I handed back to Lauren. (This is just the first version of each background, as the second one is too difficult to tell apart).

Shot 1 part 1:



Shot 1 part 2:



Shot 2:





Shot 3 part 1:



Shot 3 part 2:



Shot 4:



Shot 6:



Shot 7:



Shot 8 part 1:



Shot 8 part 2:



There was one other shot that Lauren hadn't finished in order to send me, so she will be sorting out the background and the colours for that. 

This in hindsight really was a lot of extra work for me, which I do slightly regret committing to and promising, and it has unfortunately set me really far back with the amount of time I have left to do my shots.  This may mean that I won't get through all of my shots in time for the deadline but I will definitely get them finished eventually.

But I am really happy with the colours and how they look, so I feel like it's worth the trouble. And it also makes things a lot easier for Lauren which is makes me feel better about it.





Week 34
  May 9th - May 15th


I needed to get on with my shots this week as I didn't have a lot of time left to get them done. I had previously started looking at colouring this shot before helping Lauren, but I wasn't happy with the colours so I just re did the colours and got on.

This shot starts from Lottie's section, from him picking up the papers in a memory, and dropping them on the cafe table in the present.

I started out with the background for the second half of the shot, the cafe table.













Once I was happy with how that was looking I moved onto the background for the first half of the shot.



After drawing the bench, I drew sort of grass to show the underneath of the bench.


Then I drew up the letter and newspaper.


I added a glow coming from the top direction, just to add some more depth to the image.


Then I started thinking about the sunlight that would be coming through the trees and landing on the bench. This isn't completely necessary but I just think it makes the shot look so much nicer.


I drew the blobs of light first, and then changed the layer properties to 'overlay' to get it to look like this.





At the start of this week Lottie messaged me last minute saying that she needed my help with the colours and backgrounds and that she forgot to send me them when Lauren did. Since I really needed to get on with my shots now, I really didn't have a lot of time to spend helping her, so I tried my best to make time for me to do what I can to help her. 

Again like Lauren's background, this took a lot of extra time out of me, but I really wanted to help so I started drawing up a random image of the park scene to send Lottie. I made sure everything was on a separate layer, so that she could look through and see what I did on each layer.

I drew first the girl with some leafs next to her. As if she's sat on the bench.


Then added some leafs behind them.


Then added some trees in the distance, in the background.


Then I added shading to her hair.


Then the hair lines and highlights.


Then I added the sunlight through the trees. I explained this through to Lottie, and made sure she knew how to do it and what the layer properties are.


I also explained that if not sunlight coming through the trees, she could use shadows from the leafs. This is up to her which she wants to use, that's her decision.


Finally I added the sun's glow.


After this I decided that I could improve the colours a lot more with a higher saturation to really get that contrast between memory and present day. This is what I changed it to.


I also desaturated it the same as Lauren's to give Lottie the information on desaturating the present day scenes.




After I sent this to Lottie, she then went in and used my layout to colour it in for one of her shots. 


She sent me this, asking my opinion on the colours and how it looks.


I messed around with the image a bit to get the colours nicer, so I sent her back these screenshots of what I was doing.

First bumping up the vibrance and saturation.



And then changing the colour balance, to bring out the orange and red tones a bit more.


And then again I desaturated it with the same amount as Lauren's and sent her an image of what it should be.



With this she was happy with how it looked this way. This was all I had time to help her with, as it had taken up more of my time. I had to get back on with my shots, as it's looking like I already won't have enough time to finish them.

Getting back on with the shot I was working on, I started colouring in the frames properly now.
It seems like the background is what takes the longest out of everything.




I drew it so that the sunlight through the tree would move with the letter and newspaper.


When the letter and newspaper are at the highest point of the shot, is where I switched the backgrounds out.






As always, I coloured the present day part as if it's a memory, ready then to desaturate it consistently.

First thing's first, that's what I did.





And then I decided that I wasn't happy with the memory colour, in contrast. So I played about with the vibrancy and the colours a bit, to make it a lot brighter.



When I was happy with this, I decided to add a bit of a blackout to where the papers reach the highest point. I faded it in and out, so that the transition from memory to present wasn't so harsh.









With this, I was really happy with how this shot looked, and exported it out as a finished coloured shot.

Shot 1:




After this, I started working on a still shot from the wedding scene. I decided to go for a pinky tone for this background as it's a romantic memory and the colours will look nicer that way.


Starting out with colouring a flat background, and the windows. I then went straight onto colouring the characters as I knew exactly what colours they would be.





I then started to build up the scenery a bit, with the light coming through the windows, and some shading.



After a lot of tedious shading and messing around with different colours and shadows/highlights, the shot was starting to come together a bit more. As each background has to be drawn twice, I would make sure that whenever I coloured something, I would straight away do the same on a different layer, instead of doing the whole image once and then trying to recreate it.


After adding a lot more details to the frame, I was finally finished with both copies of the shot, ready to export. This shot will be slowly zooming out, when edited into the film. I am really pleased with the colours of this shot, I think it works really nicely. It took longer than I thought it would to do thanks to all of the details with the shading, but I'm happy with the result.

Shot 6:








Week 35
  May 16th - May 22nd


This week, is our deadline week. Originally Monday was supposed to be our deadline, but due to how much work was involved in our film, and taking consideration for our group, we were given until Friday instead.


I carried on with my shots, trying to work on a few at a time. I worked in particular on shot 3, as I wanted to do them in somewhat of a chronological order.


After getting some basic flat colours and shadows, I could start to form the scenery a bit more. I drew in some of the details, including random extra's in the background.


I wanted to add some depth with the colours and the plants that are in the cafe, so I layered them up with nice contrasting colours.


Then I added some glow effects for the sunlight coming from through the windows.


When I started colouring him in, I added a lot of glow and light reflecting on his skin from outside, because I felt like this drew more attention to him in the busy shot.


Finally when it was finished and ready, I desaturated the colours to give it the more dull present day colour tone.



Shot 3:





Unfortunately, I didn't get any further than this for our hand in. I am really disappointed that I couldn't get more of my shots finalised and coloured fully, but I did spend a lot of my time with my team members working together to help them. So a lot of my work with show through their scenes as well.

I still plan to keep going and get through all of my scenes and continue to finish the film, even though we couldn't finish it in time for our deadline. I am very proud of the work I did submit, although there isn't much of it, I put a lot of time and effort into them and made them look as good as I possibly could, which I think will be apparent when looking at the shots. I feel like I would rather take time to make each shot look as good as I can, than rush through them poorly just to get them all finished.

This is the final version of the film that we handed in:



No comments:

Post a Comment